January 24, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner



Some nights I come home and I just ... can't. I've worked all day and it's late and I have nothing planned for dinner, and if I didn't have a kid I'd shove a handful of chips into my pie-hole and call it a meal. But I do have a kid, and feel it's important to feed him something relatively healthful every evening.

Tonight was FO SHO one of those nights. I started the day at 4:30 a.m. and ended at nearly 7 p.m. Exhausted, irritable, and hungry, I considered not cooking at all and ordering pizza, but that didn't sound very appealing either. So I turned to an easy fallback:  breakfast for dinner. Whip some eggs, add some chopped veggies, toast some bread, and voila - hot, quick, and satisfying (that's what she said).

I recently saw this recipe for "Better Scrambled Eggs" from former NYT food critic Ruth Reichl and was both intrigued and slightly grossed out (that is a LOT of butter). Honestly, I didn't have the patience tonight to follow all the steps and spend half an hour lovingly stirring scrambled eggs, but I did up the amount of butter I usually use (I used about 3 T for 6 eggs), and kept the heat low so they cooked slowly. The result was lovely:  fluffy, velvety, and creamy. I added some high-quality grated sharp cheddar, tossed in some chopped avocado and tomato, and served it with whole grain toast and veggie sausage patties. Thumbs up all around.

I also may or may not have had a double vodka on the side. Helps with the irritability.

1 comment:

  1. I am stealing this, looks amazing.

    Only I will add 10 T of butter and use 2 eggs. Paula Deen style. I think that would work. Maybe i will get diabetes.

    ReplyDelete