April 25, 2011

Got Time for a Quickie?

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter. I made a quiche tonight, and I was simply reminded of how when my brother was learning to read, he came across the word quiche and pronounced it 'quickie.' So sweet.

I haven't made a quiche in for-evah. But I got home tonight, having planned nothing for dinner, and realized I had leftover pie crust dough in the fridge, and although pumpkin pie sounded awfully delicious and tempting and I would so totally eat one for dinner, it takes way too long to bake. So I decided to throw together a classic Quiche Lorraine. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, which was lucky because I'd already changed into my polka-dot fleece pajama pants from Target and I didn't want to go back out to the store.



Gruyere cheese, bacon, and a mixture of eggs, cream, milk, and spices

Pie crust. Not nearly as moldy or gangrenous as the photo might imply.    

This is really a great option for a quick dinner, especially if you have a pre-made pie crust on hand (homemade or a frozen one from the store - no judgment). The custard base is simple and is a great vehicle for a variety of fillings:  vegetables, ham or chicken, cheese of any kind. You can get fancy with things like sauteed leeks and goat cheese, or just throw in last night's leftover broccoli and cheddar.


I pre-baked the pie crust and tossed in all the ingredients while it was still hot, and put the whole thing back in the oven. Half an hour later: 





Yum. Smooth, fluffy eggs, tangy cheese, and BACON. Excellent with a fresh green salad on the side. Bonus:  tomorrow's breakfast is taken care of!


Here's the recipe:

Classic Quiche Lorraine
1 single-crust piecrust
8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and then crumbled
1 cup (loosely measured) grated Gruyere cheese
2 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks
1.5 cups half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
pinch nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place piecrust in pan and line with foil. Add pie weights (or dried beans or marbles or anything else that will weigh it down without melting). Bake for approximately 15 mins until crust begins to look dry and slightly golden. Meanwhile, mix together all other ingredients except cheese and bacon.

Remove crust from oven, remove pie weights and foil, and immediately spread grated cheese and bacon (or other fillings of your choice) on crust. Pour milk & egg mixture on top and place back in oven. Bake 30-35 mins, until the filling is set. It should jiggle just like Jello. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 mins. Serve warm or at room temp. Quickie afterward optional.

1 comment:

  1. Coming over from Beth's blog, of course my mind was in the gutter ;-) That quickie sounds so good and… well, quick :) I may just give it a try!

    ReplyDelete